Today we have posted the full-length video (102 minutes) of O. Henry’s Appeal for everyone to watch online. The program is a recording of a courtroom re-enactment performed on the 100th Anniversary of the 1898 Austin, Texas embezzlement trial of William S. Porter, short-story writer O. Henry. It was produced by the Friends of the O. Henry and Dickinson Museums with an extraordinary cast of volunteer actors, directed by Vi Marie Taylor, a dedicated fan of O. Henry and Friends leader. Video production and editing was done by George McClughan.
new mock Trial investigates his case
On Saturday, September 15, 2012 at 4 PM, at the Austin History Center, 810 Guadalupe, a new mock trial stars Justice Jan Patterson of the Texas Court of Appeals, O. Henry Pun-Off punster Gary Hallock, and St. Edward’s University Theater Arts Professor Ev Lunning, with YOU participating as the Jury. Come listen to the facts and arguments of the case and decide O. Henry’s verdict. (Enjoy watching the video after the break.)
Today marks the 150th anniversary of William S. Porter’s birthday. We celebrate his legacy in Austin, Texas where he lived from Spring, 1884 to February, 1898 with a few months off in Houston and travels.
From Noon to 3:00 PM on Tuesday, September 11th, at the O. Henry Museum, 409 E. Fifth Street, the Austin Post Office will provide a special cancellation postmark for the 150th anniversary stamp design commemorating short story writer O. Henry’s September 11, 1862 birthday. The public may purchase the new Forever stamp design, affix them to letters, books, post cards, or souvenirs and have them officially cancelled with the anniversary date making them more collectible.
The O. Henry 150th Birthday Crawl, celebrating the life and home of one of the most beloved and prolific story writers in America. William Sidney Porter, better known as O. Henry, lived with his wife and daughter, in the quaint Queen Anne cottage, now located at 409 E. Fifth Street, from 1893-1895. O. Henry’s contributions to American literature are rooted in Austin, where he cut his teeth as a writer as publisher of The Rolling Stone and reporter for the Houston Post. He also had day jobs at the Texas General Land Office (now the Capitol Visitors Center), The Grove Pharmacy, and teller at First National Bank of Austin.
William Sydney Porter in the guise of O. Henry has long been a favorite son of Greensboro, North Carolina where he was born in 1862. But, of course, we celebrate the fact that he moved from Greensboro to Texas in 1882 and then Austin two years later where he resided (mostly) until February, 1898, or about 14 years total.
This gallery contains 10 photos.
WOW!! Thanks go out to all our 35th Annual O. Henry Pun-Off World Championships auction sponsors, volunteers, and PARD staff for their amazing efforts. Thanks to all the contestants for the wordy pun-play. The Friends of the Museums raised more … Continue reading
WE KNEED YOUR DOUGH!
The Friends of the O. Henry and Dickinson Museums is raising money for future programs with their Book Sale and Auction during the Pun-Off. It’s all JEST for a WORDY cause.
GOING ONCE, GOING TWICE ……. SOLD!
In other words, bring some extra coin (checkbook or cash) with you to the Pun-Off so you can outbid others on our great live auction sentertainment, recreational, services, and dining items. The auctions will be held between the Punniest of Show and Punslinger rounds so don’t take too long at the porta-potty! Continue reading
The Friends Board held its Annual Meeting on February 21, 2012 at the Zilker Garden Auditorium. A total of 17 guests, museum staff, and board members attended.
History and 2012 Happenings at the Museum: Jim Haley presented a history of the Susana Dickinson Museum, chronicling Susana’s life as a frontier woman and her ties to Austin. He said of the restored Dickinson home that was saved from demolition, “One of the glories of living in Austin is that they actually restored the house.” Continue reading